CASHMERE IS ONE OF THE FINEST NATURAL FIBRES IN THE WORLD AND IS COMBED FROM THE FINEST UNDERCOAT OF CHINESE AND MONGOLIAN GOATS.
KNITWEAR MADE FROM THIS PRECIOUS AND DELICATE FIBRE IS LUXURIOUS TO WEAR BUT REQUIRES A LITTLE MORE CARE AND ATTENTION THAN OTHER FIBRES.
CARING FOR YOUR CASHMERE
After wearing your new cashmere garment for the first few times you may find small balls of fibre forming on the surface. These small balls or 'pills' are caused by some of the loose fibre tangling together as areas of your garment are rubbed during wear. Pills can be easily removed by hand or by using a depilling knitwear comb.
You will find that, after lavishing a little care and attention on your Johnstons of Elgin cashmere and removing the pills in this way, the garment will actually consolidate and soften in handle and touch. Like fine wine, cashmere will improve with age if cared for properly.
We recommend that your Johnstons of Elgin cashmere is gently washed after it has been worn three or four times. Cashmere knitwear can be hand washed or dry cleaned. We recommend hand washing, following these simple guidelines:
1. Your Johnstons of Elgin cashmere should be hand washed in lukewarm water (35℃) using Johnstons of Elgin cashmere shampoo or a similar mild detergent.
2. Gently squeeze the suds through the fabric, taking care not to rub, wring or stretch the garment.
3. Rinse thoroughly but carefully in clean lukewarm water. Saturated garments should not be lifted before excess water has been gently squeezed out as they may stretch. A short, light spin in a washing machine will remove most of the water.
4. Smooth the garment back into its original shape and place flat on a towel - dry naturally away from direct heat such as radiators or sunlight. Do not tumble dry.
5. When dry, press lightly with a cool iron.
If you would like more information about how to care for your cashmere products, please get in touch.
Shop Product Care